Get a rebate of up to $3000 on a new rainwater tank
Thanks to the Victorian and Commonwealth Government's bushfire recovery plan, if you live in the Alpine, Towong and East Gippsland shires and your water tank was destroyed in the bushfires, you could receive up to $3000 toward the installation of a new rainwater tank.
Victorian and Commonwealth Government’s $86 million Community Recovery Package
In January of this year, the Federal and State Government finalised their bushfire recovery packages totalling $86 million dollars to help communities effected by the catastrophic 2019-2020 bushfire season.
On August 26th, the Minister for Water Lisa Neville announced the $7.5 million Rainwater and Septic Tank Replacement Program, aimed at ensuring access to safe drinking water.
This support package is available to those in the worst effected areas, in the Alpine, Towong and East Gippsland shires, for homes not connected to reticulated urban systems.
Can I claim this for my water tank?
For primary use rainwater systems:
- Up to $3000 or half the cost (whichever is lower) of the purchase and installation of a new rainwater tank.
- The cost of the initial refill of the rainwater tank (up to a maximum of $500)
- Minor repairs or connections required to an undamaged rainwater system up to $2500
To be eligible for the government rebate you must:
- Be the owner of the property
- Demonstrate that your property’s buildings, rainwater tanks or wastewater systems were damaged from direct impacts of an Eastern Victorian bushfire, as verified through the bushfire recovery clean-up process
- Have sought available insurance arrangements prior to applying for the program
- Intend to rebuild your home or building in the same Local Government Area and require rainwater and/or septic tank installations
- Submit your application by 31 May 2023
- Have completed the works since 21 November 2019 and up until 31 May 2023
[Source: Melbourne Water 2020]
Pioneer Water Tanks
Our range of steel water tanks would be applicable to the program offered by the relief fund.
To apply online with Melbourne Water click here.